Sunday, March 20, 2011

Baptism

This past weekend was a busy one!  My husband and I decided to have our son baptized in the Catholic Church.  Before our son was born we were already trying to decide on the Godparents for the baby.  Oscar and I only had one requirement...that the Godparents be Catholic as well...I mean it only makes sense.

As we started to look into it more, we realized that our requirements were nothing compared to the Catholic Church.  Not only did the Godparents have to be in 'good' shape but we also had to meet with a Priest.  Now, no matter what...you should not lie to a Priest.  The Godparent had to be at least 16 years of age.  Must be a practicing Catholic.  If it was going to be a couple, they had to had all the sacraments (Baptism, Communion, Confirmation, Matrimony) done up to marriage.  This means that they had to be married by Catholic Church.  If the couple was together, they had to live either alone or with their families.  They were not allowed to live together.  So that did narrow it down for us more than expected.

The thought did come...that we should still pick who we want no matter what.  My husband especially thought of this.  I knew that we would have to meet with the Priest...and again...I thought to myself, I can't lie to a Priest!  So we decided on two Godparents, my sister and his cousin...both females.  So my son wouldn't have a Godfather...doesn't make it any different...he still has uncles on both sides!

So we signed up the baby and we had to meet with the Priest that day.  We were asked if were married in the Catholic church, if we still lived together, and if we both wanted this for our child.  Then it was time to give the Godparents name and answer questions about them.  So the Priest asked for the GodFATHER's name.  Here comes the scolding!  We told the Priest that we were having two GodMothers and no GodFather.  Then he asked THE question...Are they Lesbian?  We had to explain that they were not.  We were asked if they were married and where they lived...i.e. if they lived with a significant other.  We answered the questions and we were free to go...with the date set, we were EXCITED!

So Saturday came...and off we go!  Everything was great! I was so happy that my baby had his special moment in the church!





No comments: