Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Reason Why I Waited...

Today I have learned that a friend had what is called a 'false pregnancy'.  She thought she would have been about 8 weeks or so pregnant but another ultrasound reveled that she was not pregnant.  She had two positive test yet the ultrasound proved that she was not pregnant.  Now for the sad part...she already told everyone at work that she was pregnant.  Now she will have to break the news that she's not.  I really don't understand how a home pregnancy test and a test done at the doctor's office can come back positive, yet not be pregnant.

When I found out I was pregnant, I only told my manager at work.  Since I am considered a high risk pregnancy, I knew I would have more doctor appointments than the average pregnancy.  My job already knew about my pre-existing medical condition, so informing them of the pregnancy and the risk was to my benefit.  I did not tell anyone that I was pregnant until after my 12 week (3 months) visit and ultrasound.  It has been said that the highest risk for a miscarriage is during the first 3 months.  With every medical condition that I had, I decided it was best not to say anything until I knew everything was fine.  I didn't want to tell everyone that I was pregnant and then have to go back and tell everyone that I wasn't due to a miscarriage.

The day I found out I was pregnant...my mother was telling EVERYONE!  I was so upset and even asked for her not to say anything.  She told everyone at the nail place that I have been going to for years.  I know she was excited about everything...and so was I...but for the first 3 months...all I could think about is 'what if I loose the baby?'.  I did have trouble within the first couple of months.  I got really sick during my second month with a cough and really high fever.  I had visited the emergency room twice that month.  I also had signs of what I thought was a miscarriage (don't want to go into too many details), again in the emergency room after that scare.  Yes the thought of loosing a baby made me worry but at the same time....I knew that if it wasn't meant to be...then there was nothing I could do to stop it.  Making it to my fourth month was the happiest day of my pregnancy.

My heart goes out to her and to anyone that has lost a baby during pregnancy...I don't know what I would do if I did.... 

No comments: