Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Daddy Counts Too!

So being pregnant...most of the focus is on the mother and the baby.  Most of the time, the dad is left out of the focus.  I do try to remember that he counts too but I'm just as guilty as everyone else.  The sad part is that by me forgetting that his role in this pregnancy is just as big as mine has lead to some yelling matches.

Not too long ago, a co-worker of Oscar's had made him a blanket for the baby.  I had made plans to go to dinner at my mom's house.  I was running low on gas in my car and my tummy tank was running on empty also.  He had wanted to go back to his work to pick up the blanket and stop at his dad's house to drop off some milk.  To make an ugly and long story short...I ate dinner in the living room and Oscar ate in the room alone.  We didn't go anywhere that night.  Oscar was on such a high from receiving the blanket from his co-work that I totally dismissed it!  I didn't take into consideration how excited he was to get a gift from his co-worker for his first child.

Oscar has been hard at work working on the second bedroom that we have.  He has made it his mission to have it 'Baby' ready before the baby gets here.  He wants to paint and design the room.  I am so proud of him.  He really is here and showing that he wants to be a major part of the baby's life from the very beginning!

I think the reason why most of the time I forget to take into consideration how he feels about the pregnancy and baby is because my father wasn't big on anything like that.  My father wasn't in the delivery room when any of his kids were born.  The actual care and well being of the baby was done by my mother.  I mean my dad did take care of his family financially but not always physically and emotionally.  Oscar is nothing like that.  He is always by my side asking if there is anything that he can do for me or help me with anything.  I guess you could say...I'm not used to seeing a Father act like this....I'm not used to seeing him so involved.

I have made every effort to take into consideration his feelings on everything about this baby.  I listen to his concerns about everything now...even if I feel that I'm too tired.  I'm ready for a new change...I'm ready for my husband to be involved more than the typical father figure I was used to.   

1 comment:

angel6033 said...

That is good that he is so involved you are co lucky, a lot of men tend to just also think its the mom and the baby, and back away, or not even care to be very involved, so I kind of see why you would have a hard time seeing him as an important factor as well. You are lucky though and its good that now you are giving him the place he wants and deserves in the baby's life :) and yours.